Decarbonizing Electricity Generation: an Electrification Dialogue at AUE Conference in Doha
GSEP - in collaboration with ONÉE - held an Electrification Dialogue as part of the program of the 7th Arab Union of Electricity Conference on March 21, 2022 in Doha, Qatar on how to further decarbonize electricity generation.
As the world faces an unprecedented climate crisis, utilities face the need to further integrate variable renewable energy (VRE) into electric grids to meet their customers’ climate goals and the growing demand associated with increased electrification. How can grids be modernized to keep up with the rapid and deep changes taking place in the power industry at the international, national and regional levels? What impact does integration of VRE have for both clients and utilities?
The panel was moderated by GSEP's Executive Director, Mr. Vincent-Michel Duval, and gathered a panel of high-level experts on the topic:
- Mr. Ahmed N. Aldohni, Assistant Managing Director for Planning And Bulk Supply, NEPCO (National Electric Power Company – Jordan)
- Dr. Houda Allal, General Director, OME (Observatoire Méditerranéen de l’Énergie)
- Mr. Abdul Nasser Al Athram, Director, General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL)
- Mr. Kamal Htoute, Director - Strategy and Planning, ONEE
- Ms. Paula Riveros, Country Manager , Enel Green Power Morocco