- Increase participants’ knowledge of available tools, in particular those related to project financing, to accelerate the deployment of renewable energies and energy efficiency projects
- Stimulate local technology development and strengthen knowledge of issues related to technology transfer and capacity-building through training and research
- Encourage the sharing of experiences and the dissemination of best practices in the region
From April 17-19, 2018, the Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership (GSEP), in partnership with the Ministry of Water and Energy of Cameroon, UNESCO, Berkeley Energy Cameroon, and Huawei conducted a joint workshop focusing on skill-building in renewable energy.
As part of the workshop, participants received technical training for RETScreen, a project analysis software used worldwide for renewable energy and energy efficiency projects. Various experts from the Central African community also shared their electrification success stories, including hydro, solar, and wind projects in both connected and off-grid communities across the region. Participants were able to draw key lessons learned from these case studies related to regulatory frameworks, enabling environments for investment, and how government policies can foster electrification. A visit to Bayomen was also organized. The village is one of the sites of Huawei’s electrification project in Cameroon which is supplying electricity to 166 villages in the country.
This regional conference was organized at the initiative of the Ministry of Water and Energy of Cameroon to strengthen the capacities of public and private actors involved in the implementation of its national policy to increase the share of renewable energies (excluding large hydro) in the national electricity matrix to 25% by 2035.
This workshop targeted participants from countries of the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS), in particular developers, operators and practitioners in renewable energy development and energy efficiency, as well as public decision-makers of the ECCAS.
- Final agenda (English)
- Programme final (français)
- RETScreen presentations and case studies (English)
- RETScreen : présentations et études de cas (français)
- Panel 2 presentations: financing
- Panel 3 presentations: renewable energy technology development
- Panel 4, part 1 presentations: case studies
- Panel 4, part 2 presentations: case studies
- Conclusions – in English